Kale Cobb Salad with Avocado Green Goddess is Paul's favorite salad. Let me back up a step to highlight the significance of this statement. To say Paul is not 'saladly inclined,' is to put it mildly. In fact, the one time I saw Paul order a salad in a restaurant, to my slack-jawed amazement, it turned out he was sick. But Paul's disinclination to eat raw leafy greens has not stopped me in my quest to make a salad that he will love. A few years ago I whipped up this cobb salad, and to my delight, Paul liked it... so much that he requests it for his birthday menu each year. Kale Cobb Salad with Avocado Green Goddess is not a traditional cobb salad, but uses our favorite elements, greens, tomatoes, cucumber, bacon and eggs, and adds avocado and a punchy green dressing loaded with herbs.
Yield: serves 2 as a main
- 1 medium bunch kale, washed, thick stems removed, roughly chopped (substitute romaine lettuce)
- 4 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into thin slices
- 4 roma tomatoes, halved (substitute cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 medium cucumber, halved and cut into thin slices
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped into small pieces
Avocado Green Goddess Dressing:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonaise
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 green onion stalks
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the Kale Cobb: Divide the salad ingredients (kale, eggs, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, bacon) between two large plates.
- For the Avocado Green Goddess Dressing: In a food processor or blender combine the dressing ingredients (avocado, honey, buttermilk, vinegar, mayonnaise, garlic, dill, green onions, cilantro, salt, and pepper). Puree the ingredients to make a smooth dressing.
- To serve, pour the dressing evenly over each salad or serve on the side. Assemble the salad and dressing immediately prior to serving to prevent discoloration of the avocado.