On my way home from work yesterday, I passed a market woman, machann, with a pile of large green skinned avocados spread out in front of her. My bag of ripe avocados in hand, I mulled over dinner the rest of the way home. Later that night, Paul and I munched on a buttery and crisp Avocado Cucumber Salad with Yogurt Lime Sauce under our mango tree as we waited for cooler evening breezes to arrive. This salad is inspired by smitten kitchen.
Yield: Serves 2 as a side salad
- 3 small cucumbers, unpeeled, cut into small cubes
- 1 large avocado, or 2 small avocados, peeled, seed removed and cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- pinch cayenne
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lime, salt, garlic, cumin and cayenne.
- Add the chopped cucumber, red onion & parsley to a serving bowl. Mix briefly to combine. Top the cucumber mixture with the avocado chunks. Do not stir.
- Drizzle the yogurt sauce over the top of the salad to prevent the avocado from getting mushy.
- Serve immediately.