On a holiday weekend famous for feasting and barbecues, we wanted to share one of our favorite burgers. These healthy Turkey Feta Burgers with Yogurt Curry Sauce are quick to make, light on fat, and big on flavor. If you are feeling adventurous, you can also substitute the turkey in this recipe for another lean meat like lamb, buffalo, or venison. To top these burgers, we ditch the usual lettuce, and opt instead for the crips fresh accompaniments of cucumber, tomato, and homemade pickled red onions.
Yield: 4 medium-small burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch ground cayenne pepper
Yogurt Curry Sauce:
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Pickled onions
- Preheat your grill on high for 15 minutes. Clean the grill thoroughly to avoid sticking.
- For the sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients (yogurt, green onions, ketchup, curry, garlic, salt, and pepper) in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- For the turkey burgers: Combine all burger ingredients (turkey, feta, cilantro, green onions, ginger, garlic, worchestershire, olive oil, paprika, cumin, salt, and cayenne) in a large mixing bowl. Mix the burger meat gently with your hands until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Mix only as much as necessary to evenly combine.
- Divide the burger meat into 4 equal portions. Form each portion into an even patty, 4 inches across and 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick. The patties should be a consistent thickness, to ensure even cooking.
- Quickly wipe the grill grates with a lightly oiled cloth just prior to grilling. Grill the burgers on high for about 4 minutes per side, with the lid open, until your desired doneness is achieved. We like ours medium. Cooking with the lid open allows the burgers to get maximum color and char for a given doneness.
- Serve the burgers right off the grill, topped with a generous dollop of sauce, pickled onions, and thin slices of fresh tomato and cucumbers.