May is cooperating rather well, and we are eating our way into spring with Asparagus. We threw a crisp bunch on a hot grill this week, along with cherry tomatoes and local halloumi cheese, and drizzled the chunky spears with a fresh and summer inspired tomato and basil vinaigrette. To a lovely weekend of eating!
Yield: Serves 4 as a side
- 1 pound asparagus, tough, woody stems removed
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 pound halloumi cheese, cut into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Tomato Basil Vinaigrette
- Preheat grill on high for 10 minutes. Clean the grill well to minimize sticking.
- Toss the trimmed asparagus, cherry tomatoes and halloumi in a large bowl with oil, garlic, salt & pepper. Make sure to coat evenly.
- Cook the asparagus, cherry tomatoes and halloumi on the medium-high heat grill, perpendicular to the grill grates. Cook, covered, for 3-5 minutes, turning once, but largely leaving the vegetables and cheese undisturbed in order to achieve maximum color.
- Remove from grill and serve hot with tomato basil vinaigrette on top or on the side.