It has been a bit of a blur since Gideon's arrival, as we remember what it's like to go weeks without a full nights sleep. Little Gideon and Mom are both doing well, and so we are on track to returning to Haiti in early August. As we wrap up our last weeks here, stateside, we are relishing the tastes of North American summer: impossibly good sweet corn, tart local blueberries with a dash of cream, and fresh peak-of-summer tomatoes and herbs. This Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad has been a frequent highlight on our table these last few weeks. It is ready in minutes, bursting with summer flavor, a balance of bright sweet tomatoes and creamy fresh mozzarella.
Yield: serves 4 as a side
- 12 ounces cherry mixed cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 8 ounces fresh small mozzarella balls (or larger balls cut into pieces)
- 8 basil leaves, whole, or cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- pinch black pepper
- Put the cut tomatoes in a colander over the sink, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and allow to sit for 15 minutes to drain some of the liquid from the tomatoes.
- Mix together the vinaigrette ingredients in a medium bowl (oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic, vinegar, black pepper). Add the fresh mozzarella to the vinaigrette.
- After the tomatoes have drained, add them to the mozzarella vinaigrette and mix gently together. Taste, adjust the salt, pepper and vinegar to your preference and add the fresh basil immediately prior to serving. This salad tastes best at room temperature.