Craving something fresh, Paul picked up a basket of summer squash at the market on the way home from work yesterday. Marinated Herbed Zucchini is a beautiful and flavorful summer starter that transforms summer's bounteous zucchini and squash into something unexpected and delicious. Whether you're looking for a creative new salad...or just searching for something other than zucchini bread to make with the summer squashes piling up in your kitchen, this is a winner!
Yield: Serves 4-6 as a starter or side
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons combined herbs (chives, basil, tarragon, parsley) thinly sliced.
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan
- Slice or mandolin zucchini and squash into thin coins.
- Mix together the vinaigrette ingredients: lemon, salt, pepper and garlic until combined.
- Add the vinaigrette to the sliced squashed and toss carefully to combine.
- Lay the slices in layers in a shallow dish with a lip. Pour over additional vinaigrette.
- Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Immediately prior to serve sprinkle over herbs and parmesan.