We have been in Honduras this past week for work meetings with our regional colleagues. One thing that makes our organization unique, is an emphasis on cultivating relationships and being a good host. In this spirit, our Honduras-based supervisors welcomed us into their home with delicious home cooked meals, among them a scrumptious breakfast of baked oatmeal with fresh strawberries. Not only did we stuff ourselves, but coincidentally, we had been experimenting with our own baked oatmeal recipe over the past month. Our version of Easy Coconut Baked Oatmeal is a hearty, crunchy, warm and filling breakfast. This simple to make breakfast dish will perfume your house with cinnamon and oats and is best hot out of the oven, doused in cold milk, a perfect meal to share with guests.
If you want to try out a spring-ish baked oatmeal recipe, check out our Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal.
Yield: 1 spring form cake pan, serves 4-6
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup milk (substitute coconut milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Mix together the butter, milk, eggs and vanilla. Whisk to well combine.
- Add the dry ingredients; oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, coconut, almonds, and mix briefly until well combined.
- Pour into a greased or buttered springform pan and smooth the top.
- Bake until the baked oatmeal is set and the top is starting to turn golden brown.