I am a sucker for a colorful veggie, and when I saw these vibrant purple string beans at a farm stand on the way home from work, I was smitten! With a wacky color-scheme in mind, I paired the quickly steamed beans with dollops of lime-hued green goddess dressing, made creamier and healthier by the addition of avocado instead of mayonnaise. Avocado Green Goddess Dressing is my take on the retro 70's classic. This cheerful side dish is ready in 10 minutes, and adaptable to whatever produce you have on hand.
- 1 pound green beans (or purple, as the case may be!)
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 stalks green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Steam or blanch the beans for 1 minute (just cooked through). I will warn you that purple string beans turn green when heated, so if you want to preserve the color, opt to eat your beans raw.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Toss the beans with the green goddess dressing and cherry tomatoes. Serve immediately.