Inspired by a fantastic lettuce wrap my sister made for a family dinner, we created these Thai Spiced Turkey Lettuce Wraps for a light weekend meal. These quick to make Thai lettuce wraps are healthy, filling, and flavorful, with the characteristic Southeast Asian flavors of garlic, ginger, crunchy water chestnuts, and vibrant fresh herbs.
Yield: Serves 4-6
Lettuce Wrap Mixture:
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped thai basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup snap peas, cut into thin strips
- 2 large heads of bibb lettuce, leaves washed and separated
Thai Spiced Turkey:
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 11 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 tablespoons Chinese black bean paste
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups diced water chestnuts
- juice of two limes
- To prepare the lettuce wrap mixture: In a small bowl, toss together the lettuce wrap mixture ingredients (green onions, basil, mint, cilantro, carrots and snap peas).
- For the Thai spiced turkey: In a large nonstick skillet, heat sesame oil at high heat for 2-3 minutes until almost smoking.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet and cook 6-8 minutes until well browned, stirring infrequently to maximize surface browning.
- Add to the skillet the ginger, garlic, black bean paste, soy sauce, fish sauce, hot sauce and water chestnuts. Cook for 2 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until the mixture is fragrant and the seasonings are well incorporated.
- Remove the turkey mixture from the heat, and add the lime juice. Add the fresh herbs and vegetables to the turkey and mix to combine.
- Serve the turkey mixture hot in individual bibb lettuce leaves.