In these chilly first days of spring, Red Cabbage Slaw bridges the divide between the hearty stewed dishes of winter and the fresh colors of spring. Red cabbage is the perfect cross-over vegetable for this task, with its' sturdy wholesomeness standing up beautifully to a winter filled with pickling, braising and roasting. Red cabbage effortlessly adapts to its new role, partnering with picnics and barbecues in this savory slaw.
Yield: serves 8-10 people
- 1 medium head of red cabbage, core removed and thinly sliced
- 1-2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 4 stalks green onions, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, can substitute one small garlic clove crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 bunch parsley, rough chopped
- Combine vegetables in a bowl and mix briefly.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and combine (hands or tongs are the best implements here). Allow to sit for 15 min to 1 hour for the flavors to meld.
- Mix in parsley prior to serving.