We’ve been taking our meals outside and the on the road recently, with sunny skies and weekend trips. This supremely Crunchy Broccoli Stem Slaw with Hoisin Vinaigrette is a portable salad win. We love this slaw for its deeply satisfying crispness, starting the brilliant use of thinly sliced broccoli stems, slivered red cabbage, bright carrots, crunchy peanuts and baked tortilla strips top off this slaw, with a punchy Asian inspired vinaigrette featuring hoisin and ginger. With a base of sturdy veggies, this slaw only improves as it sits, making it a prime work or school lunch, travel salad, or potluck dish. To cut down on prep time, you can grab a bag of pre-cut broccoli slaw mix at your local grocery.
Yield: Serves 2
Broccoli Stem Slaw:
- 5 cups thinly sliced crispy vegetables (1 bunch broccoli stems, 2 carrots, 1/4 small red cabbage; or you can use a 12 oz bag of pre-cut broccoli slaw mix)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Hot sauce to taste
- 4 small tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- For the tortilla strips: Toss the tortilla strips with oil, salt and garlic powder until evenly combined. Place the seasoned tortilla strips on a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon baking mat. Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly browned and crispy. Allow to cool.
- For the hoisin vinaigrette: Place all the ingredients (hoisin, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, fish sauce, oil, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, and hot sauce) in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- For the broccoli slaw: Combine the slaw ingredients in a large bowl (mixed veggies, cilantro, mint, green onions, and peanuts). Pour in the hoisin vinaigrette and toss to combine. Top the tossed slaw with cooled tortilla strips. If you are not eating immediately, store the tortilla strips separate from the slaw mixture to keep them crispy.