Three cheers for the Memorial Day weekend. This week has felt long with work during the day, and preterm labor most nights. While my appetite has been weak lately, I have had an odd hankering for sweet and sour flavors. With this craving in mind, Paul has been working on this delicious and simple Honey Citrus Grilled Chicken, and it is a knock-out win for me!
Yield: Serves 3-5
- 3-4 pounds chicken thighs and breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 worchestershire sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients (olive oil, worchestershire sauce, lemon juice and zest, orange juice and zest, honey, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper) until well combined.
- Combine the chicken and marinade in a zip-top bag, shake well to evenly coat all pieces. Allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours (as long as overnight) before grilling.
- Preheat your grill on high for 10-15 minutes. Clean the grates thoroughly and wipe with a lightly oiled rag just prior to grilling to reduce sticking.
- Grill on medium heat (covered) for about 7-10 minutes per side. You are looking for nice browning and the chicken to just cook through in the middle. The breasts will likely cook faster than the thighs. Your cook time will vary depending on the thickness of the pieces and the starting temperature of your meat. As you finish cooking, test a piece by cutting through the thickest part (you should not see any pink).
- For moist meat, allow the grilled chicken to rest for 5 minutes, covered, before serving.