We made these Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Strawberry Jam Bars five times in the last two weeks. Each time we swore to ourselves it would be our last. But then another picnic would pop up on the calendar. Each time we turned to the jars of crimson hued roasted strawberry rhubarb jam perched in the fridge, tempting us. And so another batch of Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Strawberry Jam Bars would hit the oven, followed by much happy gobbling.
Yield: 10-12 bars (9x9 pan)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup Roasted Rhubarb Strawberry Oven Jam
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon). Using your hands, work in the butter chunks until it forms an even crumble (it should clump together when squeezed, this is a similar process to making pie dough). Divide this crumble mixture in half.
- Press half the crumble into the bottom of a greased 9x9 baking dish. This will form the base of your bars.
- Spread the rhubarb strawberry jam evenly over the crumble base (it works best to dollop and then smear), and top with the remaining half of the crumble, patting it gently just to ensure it hangs together.
- Bake the bars for 40 minutes, until the top is lightly brown. Allow to cool completely (about 30-45 minutes) before serving. Keeps well covered in the refridgerator.