Rebecca and I are coming up on 8 years of marriage. Crazy, I know. This week's sweltering and humid weather here in Haiti had me thinking back to our engagement in Thailand. In particular, I was remembering one late evening walk through a night market in Bangkok, snacking on delicious street foods as we talked about what a life together would look like. One stand was serving grilled chicken in an addictive, slightly sweet peanut curry sauce. Maybe it was just the romance of the moment, but that flavor combo has stuck with us, and it's one we find ourselves coming back to in the heat of summer. These Quick Thai Curry Drumsticks are simple, quick, and perfect for a hot summer evening.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients (soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, peanut butter, worchestershire sauce, curry powder, fish sauce, brown sugar, salt, and cayenne) in a small bowl until smooth.
- Combine chicken and marinade in a zip-top bag, shake thoroughly, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (up to overnight).
- Preheat your grill on high for 10-15 minutes. Clean the grates thoroughly and wipe with a lightly oiled rag just prior to grilling to reduce sticking.
- Turn the grill heat to medium-low, and grill the drumsticks (covered) for 6-7 minutes on each side. To test for doneness, cut into your largest piece of chicken. It should have no translucency or pinkness in the center, but still be juicy.
- Remove from heat. Allow to rest 3-5 minutes prior to serving.