Here in Haiti, we are entering hurricane season, which often brings fronts of cool air and cloudy weather (just enough to trigger memories of cozy fall days further north). Back home, in Pittsburgh, the first tastes of fall are just around the corner. The summer's bounty of fresh veggies is still going strong, but the hint of cooler weather here has gotten us thinking about warm and satisfying comfort foods. This Simple Fresh Tomato Sauce is perfect for this in-between season: a fool-proof sauce packed with the bright fresh flavors of summer tomatoes, but warm, buttery, and comforting at the same time. This is hands down my favorite tomato sauce. Whether you're looking for a quick and easy, kid-friendly tomato sauce for pasta, or a rich and simple sauce that lets your summer tomatoes shine, this is the sauce for you. This recipe is adapted from Marcella Hazan.
Yield: approximately 2 cups of sauce
- 2 cups (about 10 small) roughly chopped fresh tomatoes, cores removed
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- Add all the ingredients to a medium heavy-bottom sauce pan. Turn the heat to medium-and simmer for 30 minutes (uncovered), stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Puree the sauce using a blender, immersion blender, or food processor until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Serve immediately (we like ours with pasta), or keeps well covered and refrigerated for up to a week.