With the first tomatoes and herbs of the season coming in, it is time to celebrate summer! Nothing highlights fresh-from-the-vine juicy tomatoes and backyard herbs like like Tomato, Feta, and Garden Herb Toasts. Brushed in olive oil, the bread is grilled for a warm smokey base. Basil and feta tossed tomatoes provide a vibrant topping to the an herbed creme fraiche spread. Tomato, Feta, and Garden Herb Toasts taste like summer, and are quick and easy to put together. We used a goat cheese feta from our CSA, an exquisite local find! This dish works beautifully as both an appetizer or a main.
Yield: 8 toasts, serves two as a meal or four as an appetizers
Tomato Feta Topping:
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 basil leaves, cut in very thin strips (can substitute other fresh herbs of your choice)
- 1/2 cup cubed fresh feta
Herbed Creme Fraiche Spread:
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 10 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions or chives
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
*if you do not have creme fraiche, feel free to substitute softened goat cheese or cream cheese
- 8 slices bread (sourdough preferred)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch kosher salt
- Place diced tomatoes in a colander or strainer over the sink. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and allow to stand while you complete your other prep. This both helps to drain the tomatoes (keeping your toast from getting soggy) and enhances the flavor of the tomatoes.
- For the toast, brush the bread with olive oil and lightly sprinkle with salt on both sides. Grill the toast at high heat until nice grill marks develop, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all of the herbed creme fraiche spread ingredients (creme fraiche, garlic, basil, green onions, salt, and pepper). Set aside.
- In a separate bowl gently mix the feta, drained tomatoes, and remaining basil.
- To assemble, spread each toast with about a tablespoon of herbed creme fraiche spread, and top with generous spoonfuls of tomato feta topping. Serve immediately, they are best eaten fresh and do not keep well. Happy summer eating!