When the winter chills set in, this colorful tangerine hued salad, with its bright splashes of pomegranate, feta, and cilantro is a full flavored pick you up. This is a long-standing recipe in our repertoire, with a captivating citrus and spice vinaigrette. This salad is adapted from Olive Trees and Honey.
Yield: 5 cups salad
- 4 cups grated carrots (approximately 5 medium carrots, peeled)
- seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice (approximately 2 large lemons)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the the vinaigrette: In a small bowl whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients until one consistent liquid (olive oil, lemon, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, paprika and kosher salt).
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots with the vinaigrette. Mix well to evenly distribute the vinaigrette and allow to marinate for some time before serving (minimum 1 hour).
- Immediately prior to serving mix in the pomegranate, feta and cilantro and stir gently to distribute.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- This salad keeps well as a leftover, particularly if the pomegranate, feta and cilantro are stored separately from the carrot salad mixture.
- Feel free to experiment with other add-ins for this salad; we have loved avocado, raisins, pistachios, walnuts etc.