Paul was feeling like a hearty sandwich this week. Our Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Avocado Herb Spread is the delicious result. We figured we would start with the bread, so Paul made a dense sourdough loaf while we pondered the fixings. We subbed out mayo in favor of a homemade avocado herb spread, which mimicked the creaminess of mayonnaise, with a ramped up, fresher tasting flavor. And for our starring protein, we grilled up our current favorite chicken, warmly spiced North African Grilled Chicken, a memorable middle to this delicious summer sandwich.
Yield: Serves 2
- 1/2 recipe of North African Grilled Chicken, can use chicken breasts instead of thighs
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 lettuce leaves, washed and dried
Avocado Herb Spread:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup mixed herbs (we used basil, green onions & parsley)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- For the avocado herb spread: mix together the avocado, garlic, herbs, lemon, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings, particularly the salt and lemon, to your preference.
- The rest is easy, toast your bread and slather with avocado herb spread on the top and bottom, layer the lettuce, and top with the grilled North African Chicken. Serve immediately.