Crunchy zatar seasoned pita chips, sweet caramelized onions, roasted tomatoes, and crisp, lemon laced vegetables; our Roasted Vegetable Fattoush Salad is a perfect light dinner that hints towards the warmer months ahead.
Yield: Serves 4 as a main
Roasted pita and vegetables:
- 4 small Pita bread rounds, cut into squares
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large red onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Zatar seasoning (2 Tbs. sesame seeds, 1 Tbs. thyme, 1 Tbs. oregano, 2 Tbs. sumac)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, cut or torn into small pieces
- 1/3 pound feta, cubed
- 1 large cucumber, cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
Lemon zest vinaigrette:
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (approximately 2 lemons)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- For the roasted pita and vegetables: Heat oven to 425.
- In a small bowl, mix together the zatar seasoning, garlic powder and salt. In a large bowl toss the tomatoes and onions with half of the olive oil, and half the zatar mixture until well coated. Spread the vegetables evenly on a sheet tray lined with parchment or a silicon baking mat.
- In the empty bowl, toss the pita strips with the remaining oil and zatar mixture until well coated and spread on a separate baking sheet.
- Slide both sheets into the oven. Roast the pita chips for 10 minutes, and the tomatoes and onions for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For the lemon zest vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- To assemble the salad: In a large serving bowl, toss the lettuce, feta, and cucumber with the lemon zest vinaigrette. Top the salad with the roasted tomatoes, red onions, pita chips, and fresh mint. Serve immediately.
- All the parts of this salad can be made ahead and assembled immediately prior to eating. The pita chips keep in a sealed container for 2 days. They are a great snack on their own.