Fennel and apple pair terrifically in this simple and elegant salad, wonderful for cleansing the palate after a hearty winter stew. Fennel is a winter vegetable that brings a celery like crunch and cucumbery sweetness to this easy winter salad. We like to pair fennel and apple with a tart and salty citrus vinaigrette, and couldn't resist the bright orange color and flavor of this tangerine vinaigrette.
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 large fennel head, stems and fronds removed, sliced into thin wedges (reserve fronds for later use)
- 1 tangerine, peeled and sliced
- 1 large apple, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 small head butter lettuce, washed and torn
- Juice from half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons tangerine juice (1-2 tangerines)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix together the salad ingredients (fennel, tangerine, apple, and lettuce) in a large bowl. Drizzle over lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- For the tangerine vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the tangerine juice, oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder until smooth. Toss the salad with the vinaigrette and serve immediately garnished with fennel fronds.