Beet & Goat Cheese Salad is our favorite salad. It is a recipe which we repeat almost weekly throughout the year. We particularly love Beet & Goat Cheese Salad in the winter months, when colors are more muted and eating tends towards the creamy and starchy.
Yield: Serves 4 as a side salad
- 1 pound beets, unpeeled
- 1 large shallot, peeled, thinly sliced (can substitute red onion)
- 1/4 cup fresh goat cheese, crumbled into small chunks
- fresh dill (for garnish)
- pea sprouts (for garnish)
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 garlic clove, crushed
- Place the unpeeled beets in a medium pot, and cover completely with water. Bring to a boil and cook on medium, uncovered for 10-20 minutes, until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife.
- For the vinaigrette (while beets are cooking): In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, honey, salt, pepper and garlic until smooth. Drop the sliced shallots into the vinaigrette to give them a quick pickling and to mellow the flavor.
- Once the beets are cooked through, drain the water and run cold water over the beets to cool. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel the beets with your hands by rubbing the skin off, they should slip off easily without a knife or peeler. Disposable plastic gloves are useful here if you want to avoid staining your hands beet red!
- Cut the beets into wedges and drop into the vinaigrette. Stir to coat the beets with vinaigrette.
- Serve the beets warm or chilled on a bed of pea sprouts, garnished with quick pickled shallots, fresh dill, and goat cheese. Spoon over the remaining vinaigrette.
- This salad refrigerates well for 4 days.