We are both great lovers of butter in all its forms. Since butter is a luxury product in Haiti running around $12 a pound, we feel like it deserves special treatment and the addition of roasted garlic and the warm, sweetly spiced, and earthy flavors Yucatán Spice Rub, Xac, takes things to a whole different level. In this flavorful butter, a base of roasted garlic is mixed with the pungent flavors of Mexican cinnamon, oregano, allspice, pepper, cloves, bay and cumin. Slather this on garlic bread, meat, fish, roasted vegetables...we haven't found a medium yet that doesn't benefit from this punchy butter.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
- 24 garlic gloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoon Yucatán Spice Rub, Xac
- Preheat a grill or heavy pan over high heat. Spread the garlic cloves across the grill or pan. Toast over high heat for 4-5 minutes, turning frequently. The garlic will soften, and develop brown (or even black) spots.
- Remove the garlic from the heat, and allow to cool completely.
- Mix the butter, garlic cloves and xac spice mix together in a food processor or blender until it forms a smooth puree.
- Keeps for one week sealed in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.