We all have our food indulgences. For Paul, it is a perfectly seared steak. For me, it is a custardy coffee dessert. This incredibly easy mousse recipe adapted from Gordon Ramsey, uses mascarpone cheese as a brilliant shortcut to avoid messing with egg whites. Somewhere between a classic mousse and an airy cheesecake, this Mocha Mascarpone Mousse is a crowd favorite. If you find the coffee and chocolate combination stuck on the brain, check out two of our other favorites: Mexican Chocolate Custard Cake & Black Fudge Pudding Cakes.
Yield: Serves 4
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons cooled espresso/strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of kosher salt
- In a stand-mixer or hand-held mixer, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Transfer the whipped cream to a large mixing bowl and clean the mixer/beater for reuse. Set aside the whipped cream for latter use.
- Melt the chocolate, you can use a double boiler on the stove or just microwave for about 1 minute and stir to melt.
- Add the melted chocolate to the empty stand-mixer bowl, add the espresso, sugar, mascarpone, vanilla, and salt. Whisk for 1-2 minutes until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture has a nice sheen.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture, until no more unmixed white pockets of cream remain.
- Pour into individual serving dishes, refrigerate covered. Allow to set for a few hours for optimal texture. Serve cold with extra whipped cream.
Look for mascarpone near the refrigerated imported cheese section of your grocery. Once opened, I find it doesn’t keep long, add it to rice puddings or homemade whipped cream.