Rebecca has always had strong food cravings; from adventures across the city to find the most mouth puckering sour candy, to a months long quest to reproduce a Vietnamese street food from our travels. While spousal cravings can get a bad rap, I'm personally a big fan. Spur-of-the moment homemade rice crispy treats, check. Ten versions of fried potatoes in a week, twist my arm. Or, most recently, a grilled cheese to beat all other grilled cheese sandwiches: perfectly crisped bread, an extra creamy cheese mix (including cream cheese), and smokey bacon. Not an everyday meal, but a craving induced celebratory treat. In addition to our upcoming move to Haiti, Rebecca and I are celebrating another exciting life change. Rebecca is just entering her third trimester of pregnancy, and we couldn't be happier! We're expecting our little son or daughter to make an appearance in early February, with a planned delivery in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. And if they come out craving ooey gooey cheese...we'll know why!
Yield: Makes 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices sandwich bread (we like sourdough)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- mayonnaise for crisping the bread
- Preheat cast iron pan on high for 3 minutes, 1 minute for a non-stick
- Mix the grated cheeses together in a small bowl.
- Fill each sandwich with a thin layer of cream cheese (about 1 tablespoon per sandwich), a small pile of grated cheese (about 1/3 cup), and a bacon slice.
- Spread mayonnaise in a thin layer on the outside (top and bottom) of each sandwich. This mayonnaise produces the best browning and a crispy exterior.
- Cook on medium-low, covered for 5 minutes undisturbed for the first side.
- Flip the sandwiches and increase the heat to medium, cooking for the last 5 minutes with no lid to prevent sogginess.